[Cvsnt] Yet more DST questions

Jonathan M. Gilligan jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Mar 19 16:51:27 GMT 2002

In win32.c of the CVSNT distribution (and in Stat.cpp of WinCvs), I have a
question about DST determination on network shares.

A user reports a bug with the current WinCvs/cvsnt where a network share is
incorrectly interpreted as an NTFS volume. Fine. I tell him not to use
network shares, but I get to wondering...

Tony Hoyle comments in win32.c (line 1405 of revision 1.42, annotated as
last changed in revision 1.7, in function _statcore()):

     if((filename[0]=='\\' || filename[0]=='/') && (filename[1]=='\\' ||
filename[1]=='/'))
         {
             // UNC pathname, assumed to be on an NTFS server.  No way to
             // check, actually (GVI doesn't return anything useful).
             is_gmt_fs = 1;
         }

Is this correct? If I call ::GetVolumeInformation() from an NT computer to
shared volumes (a floppy, a hard drive, and a CD-Audio) on a Win2K machine,
I get correct file system information (FAT, NTFS, and CDFS) on the three
volumes.

Does anyone know a good reason not to try to use the filesystem information
returned by GetVolumeInformation() to try to determine the
file-modification-time mangling appropriate to the shared volume?

Thanks,
Jonathan