[Cvsnt] Yet more DST questions

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Tue Mar 19 18:17:48 GMT 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:51:27 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan M. Gilligan"
<jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

>Is this correct? If I call ::GetVolumeInformation() from an NT computer to
>shared volumes (a floppy, a hard drive, and a CD-Audio) on a Win2K machine,
>I get correct file system information (FAT, NTFS, and CDFS) on the three
>volumes.

Last time I checked (a while ago) on NT4 GetVolumeInformation fails on
shares.  It might work on Win2k I haven't checked.

There is also the problem of what the network layer does with the
timestamp.  If the network layer transmits times correctly then the
filesystem on the other end doesn't actually matter.   A network share
is supposed to be transparent so the underlying filesystem will be
irrelevant - it could be NFS, IPX, anything like that and you would
have no idea what was on the other side.

I suspect (unless SMBFS is more buggy than I thought) that a shared
FAT drive will behave correctly in the same way a shared NTFS drive
would.  Network filesystems usually use UTC because they're supposed
to work over a WAN.