[Cvsnt] missing files

Khalid Sheikh kjsheikh at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 20 17:08:18 GMT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Hi guys any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

I am contacting the newsgroup, looking for some information or suggestions on
what may have happened with my missing files.

Yesterday some files were suddenly "missing" from my repository. When I tried
to access them, I was returned messages, such as "cvs update: <filename> is no
longer in the repository. I was also able to view the repository directly and
see that these files are not there. A subset of the files are in the "Attic"
folder. I researched on the internet how that folder works, and understand
that those are not the components I am looking for. It is only files in one
directory that are missing, and it is not a highest or lowest level directory.
What I mean by that is

Directory 1

Directory 1.1

Files <under Directory1.1>

Directory 1.1.1

Files <under Directory1.1.1>

Directory 1.1.1

Files <under Directory1.1.2>

Directory 2

Directory 2.1

Files <under Directory2.1> MISSING FILES

Directory 2.1.1

Files <under Directory2.1.1>

Directory 2.1.2

Directory 2.1.2.1

Files <under Directory 2.1.2.1>

Directory 2.1.2.2

Files <under Directory 2.1.2.2>

Directory 2.1.2.3

Files <under Directory 2.1.2.3>

The files that are missing would be at the relative location of "Files <under
Directory2.1>." I do not believe these files were deleted through WinCVS, or I
believe that a copy would be place under the ATTIC folder. Our repository
resides on a Windows share, where we do not have secuirty that would prevent
someone from accessing the repository location through Windows Explorer
directly and deleting these files. Everyone has read-write access. No delete
restrictions are in place at this time.

We have not ruled out someone deleting the files directly at this point. But
we are not convined that is the problem either. We believe it may be a
repository corruption issue (any thoughts) at the 2.1 folder level because the
entire repository is not affected. It is just files directly below the 2.1
folder level. Additional directories below the 2.1 folder are not affected. It
may also be a share size issue, but we are in the process of ruling this out.

Does WinCVS have any limitations with a large number of files? We recently
added about 8000 files to our previously 1/8 of that size repository. We also
deployed and added some bootstrap files to our repository. Or repository size?
Or repository is 8976 files at this point (so minus the 200 or so JSP files
that are missing), 432 folders, and 112 MB.

Any Suggestions on my issue? or any suggestions on other places I can research
this? Other contacts?

Thanks,

Corinne Mescher

SBC email : cm7579 at sbc.com