[Cvsnt] missing files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Wed Mar 20 18:08:26 GMT 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:08:18 +0000 (UTC), "Khalid Sheikh"
<kjsheikh at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am contacting the newsgroup, looking for some information or suggestions =
>on
>what may have happened with my missing files.
>
>Yesterday some files were suddenly "missing" from my repository. When I tri=
>ed
>to access them, I was returned messages, such as "cvs update: <filename> is=
> no
>longer in the repository. I was also able to view the repository directly a=
>nd
>see that these files are not there. A subset of the files are in the "Attic=
>"
>folder. I researched on the internet how that folder works, and understand

This is almost certainly because someone has been tampering with the
repository directly.

cvs never deletes files from the repository - there simply isn't the
need to do it.  Deleted files end up the attic (along with files which
only exist in branches).

It looks so me like someone started to delete some of the files
properly (so they ended up in the attic), got bored then went in and
physically deleted the remainder.

If this is the problem you might be able to find out who did it by
looking at the history.  The CVSROOT/history if it exists should
contain all actions that have happened to the server.  Also there is
history in the individual rcs files in the attic.  If you open the
rescued files up in wordpad the format isn't particularly hard to read
and the user who deleted it (thereby creating the last revision) will
be in a line like 'author foo; state dead;' near the top of the file
(this isn't the cleanest way to find out but it works).

>Does WinCVS have any limitations with a large number of files? We recently
>added about 8000 files to our previously 1/8 of that size repository. We al=
>so
>deployed and added some bootstrap files to our repository. Or repository si=
>ze?
>Or repository is 8976 files at this point (so minus the 200 or so JSP files
>that are missing), 432 folders, and 112 MB.

I have 10,869 files, 1,032 folders in 494MB.  If you look at things
like the xfree86 project their size is something like 10-20 times that
and shows no sign of slowing.  CVS has no practical limits on
repository size.