[Cvsnt] moving CVS repository

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Mar 20 08:26:41 GMT 2002

1) What type of system was your old CVS server? CVSNT or Linux or what?
2) The passwd file contains the users allowed access to CVS. They must be
   valid system user accounts, either on the machine where CVSNT runs or
   on the domain. If your old system was on CVSNT and you had no domain
   then you must create all of the user accounts you had on the old machine
   also on the new one (only those that used CVS of course).
3) The repository can be copied or moved as is from the old server to the
   new one, all modules and files will be compatible. However if you have
   used any of the administrative file functions like loginfo, notify or
   similar then you must go over these as well and make sure they are correct
   on the new system. And of course the passwd file reflects users that must
   exist....
4) In order to make the future use more easy to manage I recommend that you
   place the old repository into a "cvsrepo" subdirectory on a separate disk
   and then use the CVSNT Repository Prefix feature to hide the disk and location
   from the clients. Say you create a base directory d:\cvsrepo and into this you
   copy the old repository "barba", then you set the repository prefix in cvsnt
   to be d:/cvsrepo and the repository itself now becomes /barba.
   On the clients the new connect string will become like this example:
   :pserver:cat at 172.17.24.17:/barba
   Now you can at a later time decide to move it all to yet another bigger disk
   without having to change anything on the clients. And any Linux/Mac client
   will be able without problems to use your CVSNT server since the drive letter
   part is removed (drive letters are not known in Unix systems)

/Bo