[Cvsnt] CVS(NT) with huge repositories?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Sun Mar 24 00:57:37 GMT 2002

Kari Hoijarvi wrote:

> Has someone benchmarked CVS(NT) with 200 projects(250 MB each) and
> about 1000 updated files per day?

1000 updated files per day should be no problem, that's actually quite slow.

The project size is irrelevant provided you throw enough disk space at
it...  the worst point is the protocol is quite 'noisy' of there are a
lot of files (although I understand why it's done that way and tend to
agree with the reasoning), although using compression gets this down
quite considerably.

Provided you could throw enough hardware at the server there's no reason
cvsnt couldn't handle it.  A 100MB network, compression on, and a good
fast server should be fine...  although I've never benchmarked the load
properly the server we use at work isn't particularly good and hardly
notices the load CVSNT puts on it.

If I get distributed repositories working (I'm 90% of the way there
working out how to do it) you could create a tree of cvsnt servers each
served by different developers, which would each take a bit of the load.