Vedr.: Re: Vedr.: Re: Vedr.: [Cvsnt] Shadow folder in cvs

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Mar 25 14:48:53 GMT 2002

jml at nykredit.dk wrote:
> I did not realize the significane of the sleep command in the loginfo!
> However there IS in fact a sleep.exe file in the NT Resource Kit, so this
> behaviour is surely possible on the NT-platform.

The lack of true background processes is probably more important.  Even with
START, I don't think the initial subshell (running the CVS commit) will exit
until the second sub-sub-shell (running the CVS sandbox update).

 > Another matter is that
> having the script wait for 2 seconds is hardly fool-proof. The cvs-commit
> may for whatever reason not have finished within the 2 seconds.

Remember that the commit is fired for each file individually, so 2 seconds is
not unreasonable.  This script is not intended to behave well for large updates;
in use on a test web site it is great for small incremental updates (single
files).  Production sites are better handled manually at specific intervals.

 > I think it
> would be more safe to make syncronization on fixed hours (e.g. with the AT
> command on NT), and it will probably perform better, since the original
> script (if I'm not mistaken) will do a complete update for each committed
> file in a multi-file commit.

If you look at my CVSNTUpd.exe, I use AT (with a ~1 minute granularity) to do
just this...

John

--
John Peacock