[Cvsnt] CVSNT 1.11.1.3 (Build 57a) is slower

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Mar 26 20:39:47 GMT 2002

I have tested this now and can report the following:
1) Updated the cvsnt source today and compiled it
2) Replaced the files in my running local CVSNT server (stop/start
service of course)
3) Used the existing WinCvs 1.3.7.2 to look at some files
4) Graphed a file with 7 revisions
5) Shift-clicked 1.2 and 1.4, then clicked the diff button
6) Observed a command window icon appear and *not* go away...

Since I am a restless person I did not allow the window to go away by
itself but closed it manually after some 15 s.
Then a second window appeared and remained as before. After some 15
seconds I killed it too.
At this instant the ExamDiff program appeared with the two revisions
displayed!

Back to what it was before:
1) Stop service, restore CVSNT files, start service
2) repated steps 4-5 above
3) Observed ExamDiff appear instantly with the two revisions.

Conclusion:
Since the same version of WinCvs and the same cvs.exe was used for
WinCvs in both cases I must conclude that the alpha version I used for
CVSNT has some problem in regard to WinCvs. But I have no idea what it
might be. I can't figure out what is keeping the command window alive
for WinCvs since the data are retrieved quickly at the beginning. What
is used on the server side should not matter unless WinCvs is waiting
for some exit code that is no longer generated. Maybe Tony has a
thought here.

Unfortunately my system is tested too much so I cannot relate to
official releases. It is really a mess with all versions of
self-compiled cvs versions, right now on alpha level.....

/Bo

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:44:36 +0000 (UTC), "Stephane Guerin"
<stephane.guerin at rd-tech.com> wrote:

>I have try to update our cvsnt server yesterday.  We were currently using
>1.11.1.2 (build 41).  The installation went well.  I have also installed
>WinCVS 1.3B7.  I was experiencing slower performance.  I hav seen this
>problem reported in the WinCVS mailing list.  However switching back to
>WinCVS 1.3B6 was not helping me.
>To  help me figuring out the problem, I rename WinCVS directory and try to
>work only with the command line from CVSNT installation.  I make a couple of
>test with the two version of the server.  I did try an "cvs update" on the
>my current working of one of the project.  My working copy was in synch with
>the latest version on server, so no "real" update occur, only file checking.
>To give you some number :
>Version 1.11.1.3 : time elapse for update 40 seconds
>Version 1.11.1.2 : time elapse for update 5 seconds.
>I have switched back and forth between version a couple of time to be sure,
>and it was repetitive.
>So in this case the new version seem to be slower.
>To only thing I can add is the fact the checkout was done with server
>version 1.11.1.2 (since it was my working copy).
>I'm working over a Win2K network in domain.  I have dirrectly access to the
>server (no VPN, etc.)
>
>I think the new version of WinCVS (1.3B7) got some performance problem, but
>I think the server got some also.
>
>Hope this help finding the problem.
>
>Best regard
>
>Stephane Guerin