[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - error when rebuilding admin files

Matthias Mohr MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de
Thu Mar 28 14:08:39 GMT 2002

> >The passd file is not a administrative file in the sense of most
> >of the files in CVSROOT. You have to create and maintain the
> >passwd file directly in your CVSROOT directory.
> >
> >--
> >Gerhard Stegemann
>
> And this is done using the cvs passwd command!
And how do I add aliases (without changing the password)
   with that command ?
  First try:
    > cvs passwd -r WinUserName AliasName
   Changing password for AliasName at server
   New password:
   cvs [passwd aborted]: A password must be supplied
  It asks me for a new password ! But I only want to add
  an alias for an existing user with a valid NT-Domain-Password...

  Second try:
  > cvs passwd -r WinUserName -D NTDomain AliasName
  Changing password for  AliasName at server
  cvs [server aborted]: Could not find AliasName in password file
  cvs [passwd aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

I don't understand this behaviour...
With a Unix CVS-Server, I can change the passwd-file directly
and add a line without a password to set up an alias for an existing user.
After that it is possible to authenticate with the alias-name and the
password of the Unix-user.
I need the same behaviour for the CVSNT-server.
Is this possible ?

with regards,
Matthias