[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - error when rebuilding admin files

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Mar 28 15:31:36 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:08:39 +0000 (UTC), "Matthias Mohr"
<MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de> wrote:

>> >The passd file is not a administrative file in the sense of most
>> >of the files in CVSROOT. You have to create and maintain the
>> >passwd file directly in your CVSROOT directory.
>> >
>> >--
>> >Gerhard Stegemann
>>
>> And this is done using the cvs passwd command!
>And how do I add aliases (without changing the password)
>   with that command ?
>  First try:
>    > cvs passwd -r WinUserName AliasName
>   Changing password for AliasName at server
>   New password:
>   cvs [passwd aborted]: A password must be supplied
>  It asks me for a new password ! But I only want to add
>  an alias for an existing user with a valid NT-Domain-Password...
>
>  Second try:
>  > cvs passwd -r WinUserName -D NTDomain AliasName
>  Changing password for  AliasName at server
>  cvs [server aborted]: Could not find AliasName in password file
>  cvs [passwd aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
>
>I don't understand this behaviour...
>With a Unix CVS-Server, I can change the passwd-file directly
>and add a line without a password to set up an alias for an existing user.
>After that it is possible to authenticate with the alias-name and the
>password of the Unix-user.
>I need the same behaviour for the CVSNT-server.
>Is this possible ?
>
>with regards,
>Matthias

Here is a sample session from my tst system (on the command line of
course):
C:\>set cvsroot=:ntserver:castor:/test
C:\>cvs passwd -r bosse -a charlie
Adding user charlie at castor
New password: *********
Verify password: *********

After this the passwd file looks like this (other entries excluded):
charlie:Ydnd2fMSvOfoQ:bosse

I think that if you want to add users without password but still have
them alias to a system user then you must edit the file directly.
Just go there with your favourite editor and open the passwd file and
remove the part between the colons. It is as simple as that.
Previously the problems have been how to properly encrypt the
passwords in this file when the pwgen.exe program was removed from the
distribution. So the bottom line is:
With passwords it can all be done using cvs commands from a remote
machine.
Without passwords you need to edit the file directly in the
repository.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)