[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - error when rebuilding admin files

Matthias Mohr MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de
Thu Mar 28 15:58:42 GMT 2002

> >Instead I have to go to my server and create a file "passwd" at the
> >repository-directory at the  server ?
> >I think this is not practical :-(
> >And it is not like the unix-version of CVS works...
> >
> That is exactly how the unix version of CVS works.
> http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_2.html#SEC30
O.K., there is a note, that it is "not recommended for security reasons"
to add it to the checkoutlist.
And I must admit, that I misused it in the past with Unix CVS-Server.
BUT: with unix CVS-Server you may add the "passwd" file to the
checkoutlist.
And if I don't have passwords in there, just aliases it should not ne a
security reason to allow that.
Another possibility would be to allow an empty password in your
"cvs passwd" command....

> Users can change their passwords with cvs passwd.  There is a unix
> version of cvsnt if it's required, but normally with Unix CVS users
> don't set their own passwords anyway, so they won't miss the
> functionality.
But the administrator of the CVS-Repository will :-)

What do you think about my other idea, of having a "shadow"-system ?
Or add another file (e.g. "useraliases") with pure alias-functionality...

with regards,
Matthias