[Cvsnt] CVSNT version 0.0.0.0????

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Mar 30 08:10:53 GMT 2002

Tony,
the way the version information is stored within cvs.exe is
non-standard, which makes it impossible for an install utility to
check a previous version and selectively update only if the new
version is higher than the old one.
If one right clicks the cvs.exe file and looks at the
properties/version tab this is what is seen:
File Version: 0.0.0.0
But in the "Other version information" box one can see this:
File Version: "Cvs NT 1.11.1.3  (Build 57a)"

The correct way to store information as File Version is a dot
separated series of numbers only. The extra info is better put in the
"Product version" item. In this case something like:
File Version: 1.11.1.3.57
Product Version: cvsnt 1.11.1.3  (Build 57a)

And the build really does not need any letters, why not simply
increment the number (to 58 in this case) each time a build is done?

I tried to locate how this is set up in the cvsnt source but failed
due to the very complex scheme used in the two files version_fu.h and
version_no.h.
Since I am used to Borland Delphi where all this is handled
automatically it is a bit perplexing in Visual Studio to find that you
have to go into all this trouble just to get the correct version into
the program.

Basically I cannot find where the text part "Cvs NT" slips in front of
the version number in these two files. Must be done somewhere else...

Anyone has any suggestions?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)