[Cvsnt] Please help, NNTP post notification newsgroup setup

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 27 07:03:06 BST 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002 05:06:16 +0000 (UTC), "Russel Harvey"
<RusselHarvey at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've been following the instruction of setting up NNTP from
>http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm#loginfo.
>

>This is a CVSNT 1.1.13 on Win2K installed ActivePerl (whatever the current),
>NNTP has been turn on, the newsgroup is created engineering.checkins
>
>It doesn't post anything after I checked in.
>
>The question is:  Do I need to copy in the notify file into CVSROOT which is
>stated in the item one above loginfo if I don't need email notification but
>only nntp notification?
>
>Also, in the loginfo file which suppose to be copied into CVSROOT, there is
>a line at bottom:
>DEFAULT perl -S cvs_loginfo_html.pl "%{sVv}" "$USER"
>
>Where can I find this cvs_loginfo_html.pl file?  I've search the document,
>nowhere mention it.
>
>Thanks for any advice.

I don't know about the perl file you ask about but I know this:
Whatever action you want is controlled from the script files in
CVSROOT of the repository:
loginfo
specifies what is done *after* a commit is done by cvs

commitinfo
specifies what is done *before* cvs processes a commit

notify
specifies what is done *after* a commit, edit, unedit on watched
files. The user sets up himself which files will be watched

These files are script files with a regular expression as the first
field on each line. They are evaluated by cvs and each line that fits
the evaluation on the first field gets executed from the second field.
So in order to get anything happening you need to edit these files
(loginfo, notify, commitinfo) and enter the line with the action you
want starting fom field 2.
Specifically if you want something posted to a newsserver you have to
add commands for this to the line. The command can be a regular WinNT
program name with parameters or a call to a script. Exactly what is
needed for an automatic newsgroup post I don't know since I am not
using news myself.

NOTE:
Don't copy anything into CVSROOT! Instead checkout CVSROOT (in capital
letters) from the repository, add whatever you need to the loginfo and
notify files, then commit your changes. Otherwise what you put into
these files will be gone the next time anyone makes a commit to
CVSROOT when the files are rebuilt from the RCS files.

A good source of information is as always Karl Fogels book even though
he talks in Unix commands so the examples will not work in Windows.
The basic principles are the same though.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)