[Cvsnt] CVS NT + Windows XP

Dave Mello DMello at arrayinc.com
Tue May 28 18:14:29 BST 2002

I had a similar problem where WinCVS 1.3.6.1 beta 6 showed this error:

cvs checkout CVSROOT (in directory C:\)
cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from servername: cvs
[authserver aborted]: bad auth protocol start: BEGIN NTSERVER

And the server reported this from the command line:

C:\>cvs -d :ntserver:servername:d:/cvs co CVSROOT
cvs [checkout aborted]: the :ntserver: access method is not supported by
this port of CVS

As Boyd Meier suggested on 5/13/2002, the problem was related to having
multiple versions of cvs on the server, and the ntserver_protocol.dll was
actually missing.  The resolution was to uninstall CVSNT, clean up the PATH,
and reinstall CVSNT.

--Dave