Error with Casesensitive Tagnames (was: [cvsnt] Strange behaviour with tag)

Johannes Kilian Jo.Kilian at gmx.de
Mon Nov 4 15:44:52 GMT 2002

Hi everybody

I found the reason for my problem (see beneath)

The tag was originally set to "build_ViXml4c_401_1_0_0" (remark lowercase
"c"). Then I tried by mistake to use the tag with an uppercase "C" which led to
the behaviour as described beneath.

There seems to be an error in the case-sensitivity of the tag handling - or
the error messages are not meaningful enough. Either lowercase/uppercase
versions of tagnames should be treated as completly different (I would prefer
this solution) - or there should be no error with the usage of
lowercase/uppercase tagnames. I randomly discovered the different tagnames by looking into the
"val-tags" file in the repository. Manipulating the "val-tags" file by
replacing "c" with "C" everything works fine ...

BTW: Whats the meaning of the "val-tags"-file? When is it updated? Is it a
"sin" to manipulate it by hand? ;-) Is it an extension of cvsnt or is it part
of old fashioned cvs? Wouldn't this also be a nice place to store information
of the modules the tags refer to (instead of browsing the entire history
file)?

Johannes