[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt on WinXP

Serge Skrokhodov lbyf at medit.ru
Sat Oct 12 15:04:27 BST 2002

Bo Berglund wrote:
 > I don't agree with this 8.3 stuff. It is not needed if you do
 > it right from the start.

 > And if you follow my installation tips document below you will
 >  not have these problems at all.

 > Among the main things to look out for during CVSNT setup is:

 > 1) DON'T let the installer save the CVSNT files to a path with
 >  embedded spaces! It is sure to sooner or later break the
 > system. Instead manually select a directory like
 > c:\programs\cvsnt (Tony: Can't you set the default somewhere
 > else but in Program Files?)

I'm afraid I haven't been clear enough:( I typically install
cvsnt at some place like c:\usr\cvsnt. Repositories are normally
reside in some other place with a bit *nixish name:) The problem
is that it does not work on my test WinXP home edition notebook:(
That's simple:( And I cannot find a way to change permissions on
a folder:(

 > 2) The temp dir MUST be located outside "Docuemnts and
 > Settings"! The best way is to create a special temp for CVSNT
 > like C:\CVSTEMP (Tony: The Installshield setup should create
 > and set up this so the users don't get confused)

The service has enough permissions to create temporary directory
_within_ 'c:\Docment and Settings\All Users\Documents'. And I've
failed to fix this:(

 > 3) The temp dir thus created MUST have full access for SYSTEM.
 >  This is not on by default so you have to add it. Right click
 > the folder, select properties then security and you will see
 > where to add SYSTEM.

Something may be really wrong with WinXP HE on my laptop and
WinXP Pro on my desctop! There is no Security tab it the
properties dialog:(

 > 4) Don't ever place the repository into a path with embedded
 > spaces or on a network share! Will not work properly.

If I could, I certainly would:(

 > Here is the link to my information page:
 >
 > http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html

Thanks.

<skip>