[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt on WinXP

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Oct 13 00:23:43 BST 2002

Regarding your XP Home Edition:
Do you by any chance have your file system running as FAT32???
In thta case forget about security and such things, it only applies to
NTFS file systems.
If you are on FAT32 then I advice you convert to NTFS first.
/Bo

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:04:27 +0300, Serge Skrokhodov <lbyf at medit.ru>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
> > I don't agree with this 8.3 stuff. It is not needed if you do
> > it right from the start.
>
> > And if you follow my installation tips document below you will
> >  not have these problems at all.
>
> > Among the main things to look out for during CVSNT setup is:
>
> > 1) DON'T let the installer save the CVSNT files to a path with
> >  embedded spaces! It is sure to sooner or later break the
> > system. Instead manually select a directory like
> > c:\programs\cvsnt (Tony: Can't you set the default somewhere
> > else but in Program Files?)
>
>I'm afraid I haven't been clear enough:( I typically install
>cvsnt at some place like c:\usr\cvsnt. Repositories are normally
>reside in some other place with a bit *nixish name:) The problem
>is that it does not work on my test WinXP home edition notebook:(
>That's simple:( And I cannot find a way to change permissions on
>a folder:(
>
> > 2) The temp dir MUST be located outside "Docuemnts and
> > Settings"! The best way is to create a special temp for CVSNT
> > like C:\CVSTEMP (Tony: The Installshield setup should create
> > and set up this so the users don't get confused)
>
>The service has enough permissions to create temporary directory
>_within_ 'c:\Docment and Settings\All Users\Documents'. And I've
>failed to fix this:(
>
> > 3) The temp dir thus created MUST have full access for SYSTEM.
> >  This is not on by default so you have to add it. Right click
> > the folder, select properties then security and you will see
> > where to add SYSTEM.
>
>Something may be really wrong with WinXP HE on my laptop and
>WinXP Pro on my desctop! There is no Security tab it the
>properties dialog:(
>
> > 4) Don't ever place the repository into a path with embedded
> > spaces or on a network share! Will not work properly.
>
>If I could, I certainly would:(
>
> > Here is the link to my information page:
> >
> > http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html
>
>Thanks.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)