[cvsnt] (no subject)

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Sep 4 16:41:40 BST 2002

> I am trying to set up the repository for WinCVS and everything I refernce
> refers to CVS for Unix, is there an ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDE for WINcvs.

It helps to understand that part of CVS too. CVSNT started as a Windows port
of Unix CVS, so usually all that applies to Unix CVS also applies to CVSNT.
Here's my favourite:

  http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html
  (attention: huge document! ~900k)

>  I am
> confused about the usage of the repository, am I suppose  get the file to
be
> modified from somewhere else other than the repository then check it in
when
> I am done.

You might want to take a look at the links collected here:

  http://people.freenet.de/ogiesen/newfaq.htm#startlinks

> Also WinCVS does nt require login /Password to my understanding, I am
using
> NTserver.    Should I be installing the client to access it remotely, once
> do that How does security work, regarding Login password authentication.

Although this has not directly got anything to do with your question, please
read (and understand):

  http://people.freenet.de/ogiesen/newfaq.htm#cvsgui_vs_cvs

:ntserver: does not require an explicit login because it reuses your Windows
login for authentication.
The client executable that comes with WinCvs actually IS CVSNT (although a
quite outdated one - but it could simply be replaced).
Also, there is no client-only installer of CVSNT AFAICT.

Hope this helps.

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ: 18777742