[cvsnt] Character set converstion betaeen unix and cvsnt

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Sep 9 12:14:09 BST 2002

On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 23:27:30 +0200, Johan Eltes
<johan.eltes at callista.se> wrote:

>Shen I access our cnsnt repository from a unix client (Macintosh OS X),
>swedish umlauts in filenames and file content are not correctly encoded. Is
>there away of teeling cvs/ssh how to handle conversion?

No, since NT doesn't support conversion natively.  Although I could
write conversion to/from UTF8 into the filename handling of cvsnt
quite easily, there is no way of entering this data into the command
line, so it'd be pointless.

I've no idea of Mac support for UTF8... it's possible that the
filenames passed in to cvs are encoded correctly, in which case it
might be worth doing at some point (although I don't have access to a
mac to test anything).  At the moment cvsnt passes the filenames
transparently, so I'd expect them to work provided all the clients
were mac ones.

The contents of the documents should work OK at the server side.
There was a patch for the Unix client a while back and it's possible
that later versions now support different encodings properly.  If you
have a non-UFT8 aware client, though, you're probably stuck with
US-ASCII.