[cvsnt] CVSNT 57h - Slow logins

Gerhard Stegemann GStegemann at csi.com
Tue Sep 10 10:44:10 BST 2002

I updated yesterday to CVSNT build 57h.

Since then I noticed that it takes about 20 seconds to start a
single operation, like checkout, commit, etc.

I traced some commands. After the CVS client has displayed "-> main ..."
it always takes about 20 seconds that the operation continues.
Then the command executes as expected.

E:\TEMP>cvs -t co CVSROOT/config
 -> main loop with CVSROOT=:pserver:stegemann at 192.168.1.20:/src/master

! 20 seconds delay here!

S-> do_module (CVSROOT/config, Updating, , )
S-> do_module (CVSROOT/config, Updating, , )
S-> Create_Admin (., CVSROOT, F:/src/master/CVSROOT, , , 0, 0)
S-> unlink(./CVS/Tag)
 -> Create_Admin (CVSROOT, CVSROOT, /src/master/CVSROOT, , , 0, 0)
 -> unlink(CVSROOT/CVS/Tag)
 <- Create_Admin
 -> unlink(CVS/Tag)

I didn't change the configuration during the update from 57g to 57h.

The configuration is:

- Windows NT 4.0 Server, SP6a, as PDC
- pserver protocol
- impersonation enabled
- CVSROOT passwd file exists

I also tried running the CVS Server with LockServer enabled and
disabled, no difference.

Also I didn't find any log messages in the event log, apart from
the security logs, that \cvs.exe is a trusted login process.

What is causing this delay?

--
Gerhard Stegemann