[cvsnt] Marking files as changed en masse.

Zazueta, Robert RZazueta at academyart.edu
Wed Sep 11 01:17:20 BST 2002

This is sort of a general "Best practices" question. I have used CVS to
maintain files for websites for quite some time. In these situations, you
often have a ton of code that is all tied together (i.e. headers, footers,
body pages, code libraries, etc.) but live in different parts of the drive
and may all need to be changed at once. Or, as another example, you
sometimes need to add something to several pages at once, but don't want to
commit or tag them until all the work has been done for fear of breaking the
build.

How do you keep track of all of the files you've changed? I use WinCVS and
I'm beginning to wish for a function that will allow me to make something
like a "local tag" that I can attach to a series of files, then tell CVS to
commit or tag or whatever all of them in one fell swoop. Is there a way to
do something like this now in standard CVS? Does CVSNT support that?
Anything has to be better than writing the files down on a pad of paper and
crossing my fingers.

Thanks!

Rob Z.