[cvsnt] problem: adding cvs users

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Sep 11 08:21:06 BST 2002

Well,
it really does not get to me yet. The only observation I made on your question
is that the error message tells about the pserver protocol not being supported.
This can be caused by:
1) A faulty cvs.exe on the search path on your PC
2) A faulty installation of CVS on your PC where the pserver_protocol.dll is missing
3) The maintainers of the server have decided that pserver is insecure and have removed
   pserver support by removing this dll on the server side.

Otherwise the way you are using CVS has nothing to do with the error message reported.
A warning though:
You cannot have a sandbox operating towards more thtan one CVS server!
So if you think that you could use your sandbox towards the company server while on line
and towards your local CVSNT server while travelling, then you will mess up your data.
The only way I can think of is to have two sandboxes, one towards the server and one
towards the laptop. Then update the server sandbox before leaving the company LAN, copy
all files from the server sandbox to the laptop sandbox (both of course on the laptop)
and update towards the laptop CVSNT. This will reveal all files that are different on the
laptop CVSNT compared to the server. Now commit to the local laptop CVSNT.
On the road you may now work on the laptop sandbox and use the local CVSNT for versioning.
When you come back to the office, copy all files (that have changed since you left) from
the laptop sandbox to the server sandbox and update/commit towards the server CVS.
What you will get is one revision jump only on the server since all your offline work will
be collected in one single commit.
Don't know if this is what you had in mind though...

/Bo