[cvsnt] newly added users not recognized as valid system users

carsten.pieper at continentale.de carsten.pieper at continentale.de
Fri Sep 13 12:56:23 BST 2002

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing the following problem:

I have been following Bo Berglund's step-by-step installation guide
(which has been quite helpful, so far; many thanks to Bo!).

I'm currently stuck on adding myself (or whomever) as a new user
(following step 9 of the installation guide):

C:\>set cvsroot=:ntserver:DO1W7548:/test
C:\>cvs passwd -a pieper
Adding user pieper at DO1W7548
New password: *****
Verify password: *****
cvs server: *WARNING* CVS user 'pieper' will not be able
to log in until they are aliased to a valid system user.

Quite predictable after this, I cannot login to CVS as user "pieper".
Furthermore, I get a similar error message when I'm trying to "alias"
the user via
	cvs passwd -a -r pieper pieper

Please note that "pieper" really is my (case-correct) system account
(Windows NT 4)
I also manually inserted the CVSROOT/admin file containing one line
("pieper")
although that doesn't seem to be related to my "valid system user" issue...

Every hint is appreciated, thank you very much,

Carsten