[cvsnt] problems with edit/commit -c

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Sep 17 09:48:56 BST 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:44:40 +0000, Kim Sparrow wrote:

> The 'edit -c' part seems to work fine.  When the other person tries to
> do an 'edit -c', it says "cvs [edit aborted]: files being edited!"
> Good.  When the other tries to do a plain 'edit', the CVS\fileattr file
> in the repository correctly notes that both are now editors of the file.
>  But when only one of us has a reserved edit and the other tries a
> 'commit -c' the file gets committed as if it wasn't locked, no warning
> message or anything.  From
> http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/tools/install.htm I think I understand
> how it's supposed to work.. and yet what I'm observing doesn't quite
> match up.  I don't need to do any scripting in the CVSROOT directory
> like in the old 'admin -l'  days do I?  I'm using 57i.

CVS doesn't distinguish between a 'reserved' edit and a 'plain' edit, so
you can circumvent the 'edit -c' system in the way you describe.  'commit
-c' just checks to see if you're a valid editor of the file.  If you want
to use reserved edits all the time you can tell CVS to always use '-c' by
using a .cvsrc file in the home directory containing the default options.