[cvsnt] named pipe error 6

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Sep 17 16:51:15 BST 2002

You are running W2000 or XP?
These systems are designed to drop the TCP/IP protocol altogether if the network cable is disconnected.
So if this happens you can no longer run programs that use TCP/IP for communications, not even locally
on your own PC! One way around this problem is to add the Microsoft Loopback adapter to your PC.
This is a 'software network card', which cannot get its cable disconnected. With this installed the
TCP/IP protocol stays loaded and all depending functions work.

Named pipe indicates you are using :ntserver: protocol. If so you can check what happens if you
map a drive letter to a share on your own PC (set to reconnect at logon). While you have this
map there is a named pipe connected (like a loopback) and you can probably work.

/Bo