[cvsnt] problems with edit/commit -c

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Sep 18 20:46:21 BST 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:28:04 +0200, "Torsten Martinsen"
<torsten at tiscali.dk> wrote:

>> Seriously thought, there is no need to worry too much, people adjust quite
>> easily. After we removed locking from WinCvs there is really very small
>> amount of complain or even interest in the locking. That indicates that
>> people can deal with concurent development if they only get a chance.
>
>Again I agree, but it is hard to do concurrent development on an EXE file.
>I maintain that for *some* file types, exclusive locking makes sense.
>
>-Torsten

You are right, but maybe not for the exe, it is usually the product of
normal text sources. But a really commaon case is Microsoft Word
documents that are in CVS. They are in as binary but people tend to
think of them as text documents and so might start editing
simultaneously. Here a smart merge would be nice, but lacking that
reserved edits may come in handy.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)