[cvsnt] problems with edit/commit -c

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Fri Sep 20 17:57:00 BST 2002

> You are right, but maybe not for the exe, it is usually the product of
> normal text sources. But a really commaon case is Microsoft Word
> documents that are in CVS. They are in as binary but people tend to
> think of them as text documents and so might start editing
> simultaneously. Here a smart merge would be nice, but lacking that
> reserved edits may come in handy.

An exe shoud never make it into repository and MS Word seems to have it's
own versioning and merge facilities ;)

Some other binary files like images are usually only modified by only one
person anyway and it should be handled by a proper job assignment
management. If you have so many binary files that it makes it impossible to
manage then you should consider to use a truly exclusive locking versioning
system, because CVS was designed for the type of source that can be merged.

The edit/watch system should be quite enought and I don't see why CVS has to
support something it was specifically designed to avoid ;)

Best Regards,
Jerzy