[cvsnt] charset problems with os x client and cvsnt server

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Sep 22 01:29:37 BST 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:17:56 +0200, Johan Eltes wrote:

> hi!
>
> I'm using cvs over ssh on mac os x to access a cvsnt repository.
> Everything works fine as long as characters of file content and
> file/directory names are in the  7-bit range of the ascii table. Bu
> swedish umlauts and other special characters are not mapped over to mac
> os x/unix code page. Are people having the same problem with linux
> clients accessing a cvsnt repository?

If the two machines aren't using the same codepage then this is
unavoidable.  Linux can be switched into UTF-8
so that files can be written in that & should be able to be read anywhere
(application support for this varies, however).  It does seem that OS-X
doesn't do this so you'll have to make sure that all the clients that want
to read the document are using the same codepage (which is exactly what
you'd have to do anyway whether cvs was involved or not).