[cvsnt] checkout "stat" (timestamp) issue

Stefano Bagnara io at bago.org
Tue Sep 24 13:43:19 BST 2002

I think I've found a "bug" in cvsnt;

Here is my environment:
CVSNT v1.11.1.3  (Build 57h)
Italian Windows 2k (latest SP installed: Italian SP3)
GMT+1 + Daylight saving

The bug presents only when I checkout to a local repository mounted with
"samba".
- When I checkout with the command "cvs.exe -q checkout -P webknowler" to a
local win2k ntfs directory everything works fine
while checking-out to a samba share show all the files as "modified".
- If I checkout locally (local ntfs drive), then I copy the whole local
sandbox to the samba share it works fine!
- If I "update" the "modified checkout" on the share, the "update" fixes the
whole tree.

Let's take in exam 1 file in my tree after a checkout on the samba share:
the file is: /build/build.sh
Looking at the file properties from windows I find:
- Creation time: 24 sep 2002, 11.45.54
- Last Write time: 24 sep 2002, 11.45.54
- Last Access time: 24 sep 2002, 14.26.23

in the Entries file I find:
"/build.sh/1.2/Tue Sep 24 12:26:23 2002//"

creationtime and last write differs from the time stored in the Entries
file!

After an "update" (cvs.exe -q update -d -P)

Entries CORRECTLY reports:
"/build.sh/1.2/Tue Sep 24 09:45:54 2002//"

Looking at the file properties from windows I find:
- Creation time: 24 sep 2002, 11.45.54
- Last Write time: 24 sep 2002, 11.45.54
- Last Access time: 24 sep 2002, 14.39.15

That means same data as before! (access time is obviously newer)

It seems "checkout" on the samba share has problems that "update" does not
have: so I think this is a problem with cvs and not with samba. It could be
this is a problem in both product, but it can be fixed by cvsnt if the
checkout "timestamp handling" methods worked like the "update" ones.

Am I right?
Thanks,
-b-