[cvsnt] Re: CVS Streams and permissions.

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Sep 26 15:36:40 BST 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:01:50 -0400, "Jeffrey S. Nelson"
<jnelson at covansys.com> wrote:

>HEAD (Stream)
>    default:n
>    domain#user1:crw
>    domain#user2:cwr
>
>TEST (Stream)
>    {TEST}default:n
>    {TEST}domain#user1.crw

So only user1&2 can access HEAD, and only user1 can access TEST.

>The permissions have been granted at the parent project directory only =
>they are not replicated down through out the project sub folders.

You need at least read access to all the parent directories of a
folder before the permissions on that folder can be used (so 'n'
implicitly replates down, but none of the other permissions do).
chacl has a recursive (-R) option to permit relication of permissions.

>When User1 does a checkout of the TEST stream they can update and add =
>files without any problems.  User1 can also update and add files to the =
>HEAD stream. =20

OK.

>User2 can checkout from TEST stream however they are unable to update or =
>add any files.

They shouldn't actually be able to checkout, since they have no
permission to do so - that's probably a bug.  Otherwise it's behaving
correctly.

>To get User2 to work correctly we had to change from default:n to =
>default:cwr in the TEST stream.  After making that change User2 was able =
>to update and add files to the TEST stream.

User2 only has write permission to the HEAD, not TEST.  This is how it
is supposed to work.  You would have to give user2 write/create
permissions to TEST to achieve what you want.

(btw. your use of the word 'stream' seems to suggest you're expecting
cvs to work like some other tool - which one would that be?  cvs has
branches and directories.  I'm assuming by stream you mean branch).