[cvsnt] Newbie: remote login with sspi

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Apr 1 00:32:09 BST 2003

You shouldn't need to set up a PDC, but (off topic) domains are a Good Thing
for account administration.  And you shouldn't have to use IP
addresses--host names should be fine.  If you can PING a name, then you
should be able to use that host name for the CVSROOT setting.

My understanding on the passwd file as it relates to sspi is not the same as
what Bo stated.  I am not using a passwd file with sspi, it is not
necessary.

Try this:  Assuming SERVER and CLIENT are the machines, and that you have
identically named + password accounts USER across the servers.

on SERVER
--Verify CVSNT service is started:  NET START | find /i "cvs"
	(should see an entry for CVSNT)

on CLIENT at a cmd prompt:
--"PING SERVER"
	(should get replies)

--"TELNET SERVER 2401" and press ENTER
	(should get an error message from CVS server)

--"cvs -d :sspi:USER at SERVER:/test login" then enter password and press ENTER
at CVS password: prompt
	(should get nothing if repository /test exists, or warning if it doesn't).

It's really easy to set up!

Glen Starrett