[cvsnt] Ann: XML schema for cvs log output

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Apr 15 14:35:30 BST 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:45:07 -0500, "Kari Hoijarvi" <hoijarvi at me.wustl.edu>
wrote:

>It indeed could be nice, if you didn't have to parse the
>CVSNT output. Adding XML output option is probably less
>work than writing a parser to do it.

You *have* to be joking.  I estimate 3-6 months work to make a server that
uses XML, and it would be completely incompatible with all other CVS servers
(so nobody would use it anyway).

I really don't understand why anyone would want an XML version anyway (and not
to be too harsh, spending 10 seconds sticking tags around every word in the
output from 'cvs log' does *not* constitute an XML schema) - the client/server
protocol is well defined and easy to parse.