[cvsnt] Problems with CVSNT in combination with CVSMailer -> Nothing happens

Iwan java at i-ware.net
Fri Apr 18 12:00:43 BST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a CVS environment using CVSNT and CVSMailer. The CVS
part seems to work, but the CVSMailer part doesn't. I've been mailing
with Bo Berglund on this issue and it seems CVSMailer seems to be
working fine as well, and that the problem is somewhere in between. So I
think this mailing list is the place to post my question.

I hope somebody on the list can help me out on this matter. Below I
describe my setup.

I'm using CVSNT (version 1.11.1.3.77a) on a Win2K box, with a P4-267 and
512 Mb of memory. I got 2 drives (C and D), CVSNT is installed on
C:\dev\tools\cvs\CVSNT and the repositories, temp and log directories
are in resp. D:\cvs\cvsrepos, D:\cvs\cvstemp and D:\cvs\cvslog.
I've set it all up as described in the manual and it works, or at least
it seems to work, okay. The tests that are described in the CVSNT manual
to check the installation run fine.

I actually connect to this server from a WinXP Home box thru WinCVS and
Tortoise, I also use NetBeans and Eclipse as my IDE. This seems to work
fine as well. I'm using pserver which renders my CVSROOT env.var to:

	:pserver:iwan at 3axis-server-01:/3axis

I can checkout, add, update etc using these values from either of the
tools I mentioned before (WinCVS, Tortoise, Eclipse 2.1 and NetBeans
3.4.1). I've tried to use CVS from the commandline as well, but that
resulted in a problem as well. When I use the afore mentione CVSROOT
setting and do a 'cvs login' I get the following messages after
providing the correct password:

	Logging in to :pserver:iwan at 3axis-server-01:2401/3axis
	CVS password:
	cvs login: CVSROOT requires a path spec:
	cvs login:
:(gserver|kserver|pserver):[[user][:password]@]host[:[port]]/path
	cvs login: [:(ext|server):][[user]@]host[:]/path
	cvs login: warning: skipping invalid entry in password file at
line 4
	cvs login: Missing hostname in CVSROOT.
	cvs login: warning: skipping invalid entry in password file at
line 6

When I provide a wrong password, CVS tells me this. When I try it on my
server using the following procedure:

	1. Log on to the CVSNT server itself. CVS will be on the path on
this machine.
	2. Create a command prompt in an empty dir, for example c:\q
	3. Set the root as :sspi:3axis-server-01:/3axis by this command:
	   SET CVSROOT=:sspi:3axis-server-01:/3axis
	4. Check out a module (for example CVSROOT) by this command:
	   cvs checkout CVSROOT
	5. Make some trivial modification to a file in the c:\q\CVSROOT
directory
	6. Create a command prompt in the dir c:\q\CVSROOT
	7. Commit the changes I did using this command:
	   cvs commit -m"just a test"

The commandline seems to work just fine as well, as I can see the
changes in the repository files as well. But I get the following output
from CVS after performing the commit.

	C:\q\CVSROOT>cvs commit -m"just a test"
	cvs commit: Examining .
	cvs commit: Examining Emptydir
	Checking in users;
	/3axis/CVSROOT/users,v <-- users
	new revision: 1.4; previous revision: 1/3
	done
	The current directory is invalid.
	cvs server: Rebuilding administrative file database

I find it curious that I get the message that the current ditrectory is
invalid.

But is seems to be working, the thing is that it doesn't seem to be the
case that CVSMailer is called after I do the commit, although I would
think that it should. I've attached the files that are essential for
CVSMailer to run in conjunction with CVSNT.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Iwan