[cvsnt] The command line is too long.

Aaron Kynaston akynaston at novell.com
Mon Aug 18 18:29:53 BST 2003

Hum. . . if it is a command line that is too long (i.e. the -m message
is too big), then why don't you simply not specify the -m, and let the
notepad(or other editor) appear?
What is the full command you're using?

Aaron Kynaston
akynaston at novell.com
office: (801) 861-6709
cell: (801) 368-8633
fax: (801) 861-6778
Novell Inc., The leading provider in net services software.
www.novell.com

>>> "Lawson.Reed" <Reed.Lawson at IGT.com> 8/18/2003 10:40:19 AM >>>
Hi,

We recently went live on our new CVSNT server after about 3 months of
preparation.
Its the first working day after that. So far so good.

But one thing that just came up was someone was putting in a major
development branch in our library (about 1300 files) and he added the
branch tag just fine, then tried to commit.
------------------------------8<--------------------------------------------
-------
cvs commit -m "Commit for lib12xxx_branch.  This branch will live on
top of
MD3 for NYL develop..." (in directory E:\WORK\lib12xxx\library\main\)
cvs commit: Examining .
The command line is too long.

cvs server: Pre-commit check failed
cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
-------

To me, the command line looks rather short :-) He ended up committing
it in
three pieces. Is there some internally generated command line that it
is
complaining about? Can that space be dynamically allocated?

Thanks,