[cvsnt] Permanently remove/delete folder from within a module

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 20 00:15:26 BST 2003

Since you said that you don't want them to have been in CVS at all,
then why do you worry about losing the history information on them?

In any case go to the CVS repository and find the corresponding RCS
files there (same name but with ,v appended). Delete all files you
don't want to be part of the modules. When people do an update on
their sandboxes these files will be marked as no longer existing and
possibly deleted automatically (I am not sure about the delete part).

There is no magic with CVS, everything in the repository mirrors the
live sourcetree, except every file is transformed into an RCS file
each holding its own history. Remove the RCS file and it goes away
with all its own history.

/Bo

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:16:18 -0400, "Samuel Neff"
<srnlists at speakeasy.net> wrote:

>We just started using CVS for a web project.  The project has two root
>folders which I created as two modules.  I didn't review the files in the
>project before creating the modules--big mistake.
>
>Turns out the project has 10,000+ files in it.  The problem is there are
>three folders which are intermingled with the code folders that have
>uploaded images and intermediary text files.  These are about 7,000 of the
>files and take up about 500mb.  These do not need to be in CVS.
>
>Now that I've put all this junk into CVS how can I permanently remove these
>files from CVS including all the revision info?  These files never should
>have been in CVS so I'm not worried about losing history or anything.
>
>If I have to I can delete the repo entirely and recreate it without these
>files, but then I'll lose the existing history (about two weeks of changes).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sam

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)