[cvsnt] Re: CVS -cannot connect

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Dec 10 01:21:47 GMT 2003

Ben wrote:

> Not that I know of...
> I'm not going through a firewall or anything.
>
> Like I said, port 2401 is open but nobody's listening!
> Arrgh

They probably are (cvsservice.exe will be listening), but the TCP/IP
pipes are broke.  cvsservice works by attaching the input stream (your
TCP/IP connection) to the standard input of a new cvs.exe process... a
common way of working in Unix but not so common in Windows (it is
documented behaviour though in MSDN and should work).  AV software
frequently makes mistakes like assuming that sockets are only sockets,
never plain file handles, which means as soon as cvs.exe tries to
printf() to it the connection breaks.  There are some firewalls that
have made the same mistake too.

My gut feeling tells me there's some common element to everyone that's
had the problem - be it a rogue piece of software or even some odd
setting in the system registry.  Unfortunately I've never pinned it
down.  The standard advice to uninstall the AV seems to work 90% of the
time... beyond that I can't really help.