[cvsnt] RFC: Depereciating file based locking

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Dec 11 15:37:22 GMT 2003

I've though of mandating the use of lockserver in future.  I already
did that in the development tree but that's stalled at the moment (I
need a clear window to get the SQL backends working that doesn't look
like it's going to happen soon).

Pros:

Simplifies setup, and generally speeds up the server.
Allows me to implement file granularity locking, simultaneous
commit/checkout of the same file, and atomic checkouts (possibly a
better implementation of atomic commits too).
Possibly rename functionality in the future, (but that's quite a
difficult problem to crack generically).
Realtime repository browsing becomes practical.

Cons:

Problems with compatibility when local mode is used with other
clients.  If LockServer isn't mentioned in the CVSROOT/config then
older versions of the client will try to do file locking.  cygwin
clients of can't handle LockServer at all.  (Client/Server is
unaffected by this restriction).

Also with local mode you have to make sure clients use the same
lockserver otherwise chaos ensues! (I've got ideas how to enforce
this, so it may not be a problem).

What are peoples thoughts on this?