[cvsnt] Re: Connecting to CVSNT over a router

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Dec 26 20:26:58 GMT 2003

Sekar wrote:
> Hello:
>     I am using cvsNT 1.10 on windows nt server for about a year.  Recently

The last cvsnt 1.10 (1.10.8) was in 2001...

> we put a new upgraded CVS server to 1.11  on windows 2000 machine.   Both

We've been on 2.0.x since March.  The latest is 2.0.16.

I'd guess from this that you're either not using CVSNT or are using
ancient versions for some reason...  There are many bug fixes between
the new versions and older versions (the most stable feature-wise at the
moment is 2.0.14, and I'm doing a lot of updates at the moment to get a
well tested version for 2.0.17/8).

> machines on the same network segment(for example x.y.1.1)   If I connect
> to those machines from the same segment (x.y.1.2)  I am ok.   I can also
> connect to windows nt/cvs1.10 machine fine from  a different segment(for
> example x.yyy.1.1)   But when I connect to 2000/cvsnt 1.11 machine from
> different segment(x.yyy.1.1)  I get a cannot connect to host.
>     Our Tech support claims that cvsNT must be using a non standard
> protocol thats not supported by our router.   Now I dont know if cvsNT is

It's just TCP/IP - if your router doesn't support that then throw it in
the bin immediately :)

Can you ping the other machine?  If not then your network setup is
broken and cvsnt has nothing to do with it.  Try a telnet to port 2401
of the remote machine.  If you get no response then the server isn't
running.

Firewalls can also mess things up - they must allow the cvs port through.