[cvsnt] First time user

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Dec 26 22:51:00 GMT 2003

> I am new to CVSNT and wanted to SCM our source with CVSNT
> (client/Server). I
> am in kind of pressure situation to setup all SCM thing ASAP.
> I need help

If you're also new to CVS in general, which it sounds like you are, you'll
want to start with learning about CVS and CVSNT's basic operations.

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

Furthermore, there is a large volume of information available in the
archives here loaded with lots of detail.  I recommend you get familiar with
the Q&A through downloading the bulk and reading through it if you're in a
time crunch.  If you have specific questions then feel free to post them
here.

> 1) I have not seen a CVSROOT/cvs file, why?

Where are you looking?  Where did you set up your repositories?

> 2) Our sys admin told the protocol is TCP/IP, So I did
> :pserver:<user>@<ourserver>:/rep1, then it accepted, when I
> tried to create
> "cvs passwd user user", it says no authantication on /rep to
> user, why and
> what wrong I did, how it can be resolved

The operating systems will determine the best protocol to use, not the
transport (they ALL use TCP/IP).  Use SSPI in an all-windows environment,
it's the easiest.

> 3) I planned to WinCVS as clients, please suggestions, what and How?

TortoiseCVS is easier for new users to start with.  WinCVS has some advanced
features that would come in handy later.  Both can be used against the same
sandboxes, so you won't need to worry about choosing one or the other.

http://www.tortoisecvs.org/

> 4) How can I establish the full communication server to
> client ( using CVSNT
> as server, WinCVS is client)

I have no idea what you mean by "full communication server".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Glen Starrett