[cvsnt] Re: How to update CVSNT remotely???

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Dec 29 16:18:46 GMT 2003

carl at membersonlysoftware.com wrote:

> Bo,
>
> I just wanted to say:
>
> Thank you very much.
>
>   (For this and all your other insights that you freely post).
>

> This little nugget has taught me a lot.  I have to do operations like
> this all the time.
>
> I didn't know you could start and stop services with net stop and net
> start.  (This little outline should probably go into the website or
> faq)  It may not be an FAQ, but it should be :-)

Not only that. Given the appropriate permissions, you could have pretty
much done all of this from a GUI as well (without having to install any
additional tools - it's all there in the default Win2K install). You
could remotely control services (and a whole lot else) of an NT-class
computer using the Microsoft Management Console (Right-click "My
Computer", select "Manage", right-click the root node, select "Connect
to another computer").

You could also edit a remote registry using regedt32.exe (Choose
Registry|Select Computer). If you need to edit user keys, you could
simply temporarily "import" their "hive" (i.e. their ntuser.dat from
their profile directory) into your own registry and edit them there.

For everything that isn't possible via these two tools or VNC, there's
always the PsTools commandline tool collection from
http://www.sysinternals.com . E.g. PsExec allows you to run commands
remotely. PsService allows full remote control over services.
PsShutdown can be used to shutdown/restart a remote machine and so on...

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org