[cvsnt] Re: Latest updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Dec 30 00:40:50 GMT 2003

Ori Berger wrote:
> Is the repository still compatible with the cyclic CVS? If not, is there
> any way to disable these extensions (refuse them at the server even if
> client insists) to make sure that the repository remains compatible?

No, unless cyclic CVS decides to implement them :)  I don't think
compatibility is going to be maintainable anyway in the long term (all
possible solutions to file renaming for example implicitly break
backward compatibility) - it's still possible to convert back using a
python script or something like that - at the moment it's a matter of
stripping a few keywords and expanding/re-encoding any special deltas.

Since CVSNT runs fine on Unix then there's little point in worrying
about it.  You've always been able to make a repository incompatible
simply by adding a unicode file, or changing a -k option during the
lifetime of a file, or about a dozen other ways... there's just even
more ways to do it that's all.

> How would tools that read the repository directly like WebCVS and
> friends cope with these?

Nothing should read the repository directly - if it does it's broken.
There are RCS wrappers that ship with CVSNT to allow RCS access (read
only of course) and those do their best to remain compatible (mostly.. I
just fixed them as the lockserver updates broke them a while back).