[cvsnt] :ext: access with ssh

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Feb 5 21:19:44 GMT 2003

Keith D. Zimmerman wrote:

> When accessing my repository with :ext: and ssh (our server is windows
> 2000 server, running cygwin ssh server), all cvs history is stored as
> coming from SYSTEM.  Should it not show my name when I am using my
> username (ie:   :ext:keith at server2...) instead of SYSTEM in the cvs
> history??

It's a limitation of NT - cygwin can't really change user ID because that's
impossible without the password, so it uses the same trick cvsnt uses for
pserver, and creates a fake impersonation token for the user.
Unfortunately although that gives the correct access rights, it doesn't
really change the user, just drops privileges.

AFAIK if you use username/password rather than RSA auth it uses the
LogonUser API so the username changes.