[cvsnt] Admin unedit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Feb 5 21:27:47 GMT 2003

Ian Epperson wrote:

> Is there a way to (cleanly) administratively unedit a file?

Not really... edit is a collaboration between client and server - *both*
parts must exist to cleanly edit or unedit a file.  As far as I can see
without completely changing the way edit/unedit work there is no way
to create an administrative unedit, because it would have to try to contact
the client that created the edit and try to make it do its side of the
unedit, which would make the client into a server (I just barely worked out
how edits work since they're a bit bizarre - there is a case for changing
them completely but it'd mean a complete break with Unix client
compatibility, which I'm not really keen to do).

The multiple sandbox thing is correct, btw.  If you have run an edit on one
sandbox you *must* unedit on that machine as there may be changes that you
want to keep and have forgotten about them.

IMHO that's why exclusive edits are so bad.  They slow people down and don't
really give much advantage... but some people want them, so they're there,
warts an' all...