[cvsnt] Re: Anyone knows where to get a ViewCvs (for windows) patch?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Feb 7 22:35:49 GMT 2003

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 23:07:30 +0100, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>In order to be able to deploy the latest CVSNT builds it is necessary
>to patch ViewCvs so it won't choke on the new fields that CVSNT adds
>in the RCS files. Until I find this patch I cannot use the new
>versions.
>Please if anyone has any clue to where to find a working patch, send
>an URL to me or post it here.

I found a post by Paul Russell on Jan 22, 2003 where he writes:

"2) Create a Share for the repository. Set the viewcvs.conf to
reference this share directory (\\servername\sharename\wrk\) instead
of (x:\cvs_server\cvsrepo\wrk\). It seems that the colon(:) can
confuse the python or rcs mapping of the repo when warnings occur.

Alternately (It works for some, but not me), you can specify the path
as (\\servername\c$\cvs_server\cvsrepo\wrk). Ensure the priviledges
are correct for IUSR/IWAM."

I tested this two ways:
1) Created a share on the repository root and changed the viewcvs.conf
to read such:
cvs_roots =
	test : \\antares\cvsrepo\test,
	hw : \\antares\cvsrepo\hw,
	pc : \\antares\cvsrepo\pc
Now, like by magic ViewCvs started working again.

2. Removed that share and instead changed the viewcvs.conf to look
like this:
cvs_roots =
	test : \\antares\c$\cvsrepo\test,
	hw : \\antares\c$\cvsrepo\hw,
	pc : \\antares\c$\cvsrepo\pc
This throws an error:
"Exception
ViewCVS Messages:
\\antares\c$\cvsrepo\pc not found!
The server on which the CVS tree lives is probably down. Please try
again in a few minutes."

For obvious reasons of security I cannot have a public share on the
repository root, it goes against all security measures I am trying to
impose. But it is kindof interesting to see that this trick actually
fixes the problem in ViewCvs.

3. Now an idea: Create a share on cvsrepo and name it cvsrepo$ (so it
won't be browseable) then set permissions *only* to the IWAM/IUSR
accounts and only as read. Then change the viewcvs.conf file:
cvs_roots =
	test : \\antares\cvsrepo$\test,
	hw : \\antares\cvsrepo$\hw,
	pc : \\antares\cvsrepo$\pc

This apparently cures the problem, but why?

So what can *really* be done about it? Someone who knows Python and
ViewCvs please help because creating shares should not be the way to
go.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)