[cvsnt] Re: Suggestion concerning the "Precompiled binaries" package...

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Feb 12 14:27:43 GMT 2003

> There isn't much difference between precompiled binaries + client
> only... I actually build such a package for internal release here.
>
> Binaries = 2,072kb
> client = 1,878kb (this doesn't include gserver).

Well, but I guess this is mainly because of the VC runtimes that are also in
there (1.7MB - 765k zipped). The use case I had in mind were people that
were already using WinCvs 1.3.x and just wanted to update the client
binaries. They would already have the runtimes. The CVSNT release cycle has
always been a lot shorter than that of WinCvs so I guess this is not such an
uncommon situation for many.

I just created a ZIP-file consisting of:
cvs.exe
plink.dll
ext_protocol.dll
ntserver_protocol.dll
pserver_protocol.dll
ssh_protocol.dll
sspi_protocol.dll

...and it comes in at around 400k (350k as a RAR). I guess the cvs95.exe
will add another 250k to that package but that's it. Maybe you could supply
(or just link to) the runtimes in a separate package yet?

Cheers,

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ: 18777742