[cvsnt] problems with diff

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Feb 12 16:48:02 GMT 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:29:41 -0500, "Paul St. John"
<pstjohn at visible-bytes.com> wrote:

>2)  Can I somehow fix the ,v files?  I have looked at a ,v file that
>is exhibiting the problem side-by-side with one that isn't but can't
>see and real difference (didn't use a hex viewer which might show
>something different...)

If you know the RCS file format it's not impossible, but it might be
easier to just re-add them.

>3)  The Nav conflict is one that is much talked about but all the
>info is spread across many messages.  Is the a synopsis of the all
>the known details re: this issue?

There's very little known about it, other than in certain
circumstances it seems that the temporary files don't read back
correctly because NAV has hold of them (but not locked otherwise the
opens would just fail harmlessly), and this causes invalid deltas to
be written to the RCS files (even that much is a guess... there has
been some attempt to replicate it reliably recently so that symantec
can be pointed at specific problems).

AVG seems to be fine as I run it here without problems.

>4)  What are your thoughts behind the comment "don't use anything
>earlier than Build 65"?  Isn't Build 62 just a few months old?

There was a bugfix in build 65 that could have quite serious
consequences if it were to occur on the server, with the same symptoms
that you're seeing.  I'd rather make absolutely sure it wasn't that
before looking at other options.

71 is pretty solid, with two known bugs so far (the only one you might
see is a failure trying to run 'cvs edit' on an entire directory).  72
looks like it'll be unbreakable (so I can take a break myself!).