[cvsnt] Couldn't connect to named pipe

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 19 17:44:34 GMT 2003

Aaron,
in my reply to your post I forgot two vital items:
1) One must use "Reply All" to get anything to the list
2) I forgot to tell you how to use sspi over a firewall

So here goes an expanded repeat of my reply:

You are not using pserver, you are using ntserver.
To switch to pserver you need to do on the command prompt:
set CVSROOT=:pserver:aaron at cvs_server:/Test
cvs login
(enter password)

Now you should be in business provided your user aaron is in
the passwd file on the server.

To use ntserver across a firewall will never work, you will get the
named pipe error just as you do here.

But if you want to use sspi over the firewall it is perfectly possible.
What you need to do is this:

set CVSROOT=:sspi:aaron at cvs_server:/Test
cvs login
(enter password)

Note the similarity of the passwd command! The difference from using sspi
inside the local LAN is that when you are inside then you don't enter the
username in the CVSROOT and you don't use the login command.

/Bo