[cvsnt] OT: Which VS6 files to store in CVS?

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Fri Feb 28 23:33:30 GMT 2003

Warren, Erik wrote:

>Torsten Wrote ...
>
>Confirmed. In fact MS explicitly discourages you from puttin .opt and others
>under version control, since they are specific to the local machine. You
>can look it up in the MSDN Library.
>
>[snip]
>
>Torsten,
>I was looking at MSDN trying to find where they recommend not placing .opt
>(and possibly other project files) under source control and I couldn't find
>it.  Can you provide a link to the msdn online page or the chapter and
>heading where you found this information.

In the April 2001 edition of MSDN it is in

Visual Studio Documentation/Visual C++ Documentation/Using Visual
C++/Visual C++ Users Guide/Overview: Working with Projects/Project
Workspace Files:

When you create a project workspace, a project workspace file
/ProjectName/.dsw is created to store information at the workspace
level. Other associated files are also created, including a project file
(.dsp), for building a single project, and a workspace options file (.opt).

The workspace options file stores settings such as those you specify in
the *Project Settings* dialog, and the layout of the project workspace.

**Notes**   If you work in a group, you can put the project workspace
file and project files under source-code control and share them with
other members of your group so that they can build the projects defined
in the project workspace. However, you should not share the workspace
options file (.opt) because it contains information specific to your
computer. A new workspace options file is created automatically when the
workspace is opened and no workspace options file is found. If you are
using exported makefiles, you should not share these files. Other users
can share the project workspace (.dsw) file and project (.dsp) file, but
they should export the makefiles locally.

-Torsten