[cvsnt] Re: Read only / permission / watched files

Thierry Moreau Thierry.Moreau at Connotech.com
Mon Jan 6 04:58:37 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Thierry Moreau wrote:
>
> > When I do a cvs checkout or a cvs update, these two files come up
> > read-write in the working directory. It defeats my purpose of having
> > specified "cvs watch on" for them, isn't it?
>
> 'watch' will trigger the notify script when you commit a change to the file.
> If you checkout read only you can use the 'edit -c' and 'commit -c'
> commands.  It's far better to just forget about it, though, and let cvs do
> what it's good at :-)

Thanks for the advice (basically, leave files R/W in the working directory and
forget about "cvs edit"). In any event, I do not intend to use "cvs edit -c"
which is indeed documented as a suboptimal use of CVS.

However, "cvs watch on" is documented to *both* force a read-only checkout
(which I find useful to quickly identify the files that are unmodified) and
trigger the notification mechanism (which I don't need). My main observation is
that the "permissions 666;" does interfere with the documented effect of "cvs
watch on" with respect to read-only checkout.

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier