[cvsnt] Re: Read only / permission / watched files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Jan 6 09:52:14 GMT 2003

Thierry Moreau wrote:

> However, "cvs watch on" is documented to *both* force a read-only checkout
> (which I find useful to quickly identify the files that are unmodified)
> and trigger the notification mechanism (which I don't need). My main
> observation is that the "permissions 666;" does interfere with the
> documented effect of "cvs watch on" with respect to read-only checkout.

The PreservePermissions code probably circumvents that...  What the watch on
does is probably not enforce read/write, rather than forcing read only -
the code works backwards to the way you'd expect, because rcs normally
always forces everything to read only, then the cvs code forces it back to
read write unless watch is on.  That needs some work, I'd expect.